Doctor's note
Honestly, I'm trying very hard to avoid the pitfall of being chronically late with updates to the Blog. I'm not sure that I'm doing a very good job of that, but I am getting good at explaining why the posts are so late! And, at least I have lots of things to write about when I do get around to it. In this case, the tardiness is due to what I can only call the Bermuda Triangle of internet access, otherwise known as the State of Florida. It seems that every ray of hope we had regarding high speed internet, our delight was soon dashed. We had hotels that advertised wireless, only to find out that it didn't start until the 1st of June, or the room we were in didn't work. We were fortunate enough to stay with Becky Barstow, the Trek rep for southern Florida. Her house was wireless equipped, but it didn't work with certain computers. This pattern of internet denial continued the entire time we were in Florida.
Getting back to Houston was sure to provide us with the relief that only checking email after days can provide. I mean, this is the home of some pretty heavy hitters in the computer world! Seeing "Free High Speed Internet Access" on the hotel sign is like seeing water in the desert. So you can imagine our frustration when we found out that the room we'd been checked into was not set up for internet. Grrr! A room switch later, and I'm back in broadband land.
So, as I said we've come full circle and have found ourselves back in Houston. We spent nine days, did four dealer events, and one Danskin Triathlon. The Ladies' Night at Mack Cycles in Miami was our first dealer event of the year, and we had an extremely attentive audience. The next night had us in the parking lot of David's World Cycles in Lake Mary for a demo. It looked for a while like we were going to get rained on, but in that "cloud burst" sort of way, we stayed dry while other parts of Orlando got a soaking. Down the road a bit to Lake Mary Cycles provided us with the setting for another Ladies' Night. The week was capped by the Danskin Women's Triathlon in Walt Disney World. If you've been following along and noticed that I was absent from some of these, it's because I've picked up a case of pneumonia and was in need of some healing time.
The Danskin was an extraordinary event. 2000 women participated, and all of our bikes were loaned out for women to race. The atmosphere of the event is really amazing! There was so much support for the women, and it was obvious that a lot of people had finishing the race as a major goal. It's pretty safe to say that we're both looking forward to the next one in LA. Sherie and Krista from the home office were down to help out, and we met Brian from Bissell, who brought with us some more schwag for our schwag bags.

Our last gig in Florida was a demo for Carrolwood Cycles outside of Tampa. About 40 women turned up for fittings, test rides, or just to talk about cycling in general. Many thanks to David and Jodi from Carrolwood, and to our northern Florida rep Andrew.
Thanks also go out to Becky and Mark, who will be married this time tomorrow, all the folks at Mack's, David's World, and Lake Mary Cycles, and to my cousin Karen and her husband Ron for giving us a great place to relax by the pool, and a show of gravity-defying gecko's.



1 Comments:
Chrissy??????
This is your long lost Russian family checking in...xxxooooguess who????
Post a Comment
<< Home